Sunday, February 7, 2010

Having a ball


I hate when I lose the ball bands on my yarn.

I really do try to be more organized, but sometimes, if I start a new project away from the comfort of my lair, or if I'm just too lazy to get up and put the band in its proper place with its proper label, sample piece and description of what I'm making with it, it gets put aside for another time, which never seems to come.

That is the case with the yarn I'm working with now, a moss green worsted that is currently becoming a mistake rib scarf, for me.

I know where I bought the yarn and when. I picked it up July 2009 in a small, newly opened yarn shop in Moundsville, W.Va. called A Yarn Among Friends. I was traveling to that area with friends and after Googling for yarn shops in the area, came across the address for this one. The husband kindly entered the address into Audrey, our GPS, and she got us there without error. I love Audrey most of the time, but that's fodder for another blog.

I bought two skeins of this yarn because green is my favorite color and this particular shade of green is at the top of the list. The shade lies somewhere between olive and moss and it is soft and nice to work with.

I carried it around with me for several months trying to decide how to best display this yarn. It saw me through several socks, a baby sweater, some doll clothes and a hooded sweater for my granddaughter. And then I thought, why torture myself? I only had two balls, not enough to make a sweater or even a shawl. Instead, I thought, I will just make a scarf. For myself.

Very little of what I've made in the past year, having only taught myself to knit (okay, YouTube basically taught me how to knit, along with "Knitting for Dummies" and several well-written blogs), and on those aforementioned blogs, I managed to see the mistake rib scarf pop up several times.

I decided to give it a go, and now the scarf is nearly finished, still in time for winter weather, and I'm anxious to get it blocked and see what happens to this yarn then.

Here is what I know....
It's wool
It's hand washable
It's green
I like it.

I know that ball band is around her somewhere. When I find it, it will be when I'm looking for something else.

No comments: